Boosting Email Subscribers – An actionable guide
Table of Contents
Are you an upcoming company, with a promising venture but are not able to track your customer conversions? Do you aim to become a titan like Amazon and eBay? Are you not able to maintain a steady consumer base?
If you are facing such problems, then creating an email subscriber list or proper maintenance of an existing one, might be the answer you were looking for.
Increasing email subscribers is one of the fastest ways to track company growth in terms of the customer base. But if the list only consists of those looking for freebies, then it’s all for nought. The quality and the quantity matters and one needs to keep an eye on it.
One of the pertinent questions asked regarding email subscriber list is it worth the time and money? The answer is yes. Let’s understand the why’s and how’s of having increasing email subscribers.
What is an email subscription?
These days if you visit any site, there comes a pop-up asking you to sign up for their weekly updates. If you are interested, you type in your email and there you go. So from the next time onwards, you don’t need to regularly visit the website; everything shows up in your email. How cool and time-saving is that?
Email subscription allows people to receive updates of a website via email in a subscription manner. It is a marketing feat on its own. It is one way to increase the mailing list of a company.
Start-ups and medium based company often miss out on this marketing strategy, thinking about stuff like they are too busy with their business or what if no one signs up. Most of them have a hard time figuring out what to write in an email subscription.
We will go through the steps for increasing email subscribers for your website. But first, we need to understand its effectiveness and the need for it.
Effectiveness of Email Marketing
Ours is a fast-paced world and we are always on the run. Those few minutes of break in our professional time is when we either check our social media or email for new updates. Both platforms have become a source of marketing.
Focusing on email marketing, here is why companies chose it:
- It is compatible with phones and tablets and is free of cost. also, there is more space for adding multiple contents in it.
- E-coupons are important when shopping online. This makes email marketing an appealing one.
- Email marketing can be used with other forms of marketing, making an integrated marketing campaign.
- It is inexpensive in the sense that it charges a minimum for reaching out to thousands of customers at one click.
- It generates call flows when the right email is dropped at the right time.
- Rate of conversion through email marketing is higher than social media.
- ROI through email marketing is high because of its ability to send relevant and personalized messages.
- Email is the preferred mode of communication for keeping things professional, especially in the cases of solving customer problems.
- Finally, the email will be around for quite some time, so investing in it isn’t a bad idea.
Why are Email Subscribers important?
Here are the top 6 reasons for having a mailing list:
- Majority of people having an email check it at least once in a day and this is why building an email list becomes important. Your message is directly delivered to someone’s inbox.
- The algorithm of social media keeps changing and you don’t have control over it. Hence, an email list becomes essential. So even if people miss out on social media updates, they can receive it via email.
- Titans like Amazon, Zomato, Netflix etc love huge mailing lists. They understand the fact that email lists are long term investments with low costs. People sign up to read their blogs.
- You have full control over your email list and you can categories the subscribers accordingly. That helps you in planning which strategy to apply to different categories.
- These are genuine customers as they opted to receive updates from you which makes them potential buyers.
- Finally, money always matters. But as they say, money lies in the list. So building up an amazing list always brings in revenue, helping your company grow.
Boosting Email Subscribers
So far we have established why we need to build a mailing list. Now, let’s focus on ways of increasing email subscribers.
Let’s agree that you have amazing products or services to sell and also have memorable branding. In such case, your mailing list will do the magic for you. You just need to figure out which email marketing strategy works for your brand.
Small and medium-sized businesses complain about not getting people to subscribe to their newsletters. The answer to this is ‘make it worth their while’. There are broadly two ways for increasing email subscribers,
- Bring in traffic from the website,
- Upgrade your email marketing game.
Using the website as a tool you can gather increasing email subscribers. Here’s how:
Make an attractive offer
There are reports of companies spamming people and so people have become cautious of their emails. So you need to focus on making an offer they can’t reject and sign up. Make a lead magnet.
- Instant offers for newbie subscribers
- Remind people of the exclusive benefits if they become subscribers like free downloadable content and access to VIP passes.
- Try giving sneak peeks or use content locking urging visitors to sign up.
- Make it easy to enter the email address. Complex websites make it difficult to do so. Instead of asking for additional details, just as for their email. Chances are that people will subscribe because it is quick and effortless.
- Arrange for contests, giveaways and sweepstakes and in doing so ask for email signups. People will look forward to such contest and there will be increasing email subscribers.
- Make your website mobile-friendly if you want to achieve a flawless presentation of your message.
- Use a sign-up form in the form of a pop-up box or place it after a post or at the footer. But avoid being too spammy.
You can use heat maps to understand where people click most of the time when at your website and place important buttons accordingly.
- You can try Affiliate Advertising for increasing email subscribers. It simply means you pay an affiliate website some amount, every time someone signs up through them.
- Use your social media presence to bring in more numbers. You can urge the visitors on your social media for an email sign up. You can also use social proof to your advantage and bring in more numbers.
- Upload free viewing content on your website for increasing email subscribers. Once they see such likeable content, the viewers are not afraid to invest their money at a site.
- Try putting up shareable links everywhere so that people can easily share your content with their fellow people. Try adding Opt-In link with your email signature.
- A double Opt-in helps build an authentic mailing list. If this is not done then you risk being categorized as a spammer by receivers and ISPs as well.
- Host webinars for furthers spread of your brand. Try giving free entry to these webinars for people to see the awesome brand of you. You can also create an email course for increasing email subscribers.
Tip: Don’t go on to purchase email addresses from third parties.
Such email addresses don’t want to hear from you and will be a waste of time and money. You might end up being delivered to the spam folder.
Up Your Email Marketing Game
What to do when you have increasing email subscribers. You maintain them all the while aiming for new subscribers. People chose you out of all the other options and you don’t want to lose them.
Here are a few tips which you can use to do so:
Once you have a steady flow of email subscribers coming in, create a subscriber persona. By tracking the activity of your customers you can create specific subscriber personas and then send crafted emails for each category. You can employ trigger-based emails based on their website behaviour.
You can use tools like Crazy Egg, Google Analytics, Smartlook, Kissmetrics etc., to revamp your existing email marketing strategy. You can also choose an email marketing service to suit your needs.
Try beginning with catchy headings or use bold colors for coupons. If it is a blog post that you are putting out, make sure the font is easy to read. Address to them, using their first name for bringing in a feeling of exclusivity. Sending a ‘thank you note’ to your subscribers makes them feel special as they feel grateful for being a part of your journey.
Being real to the cause matters now more than ever. The ability of your brand to communicate its values and emphasize your authenticity is important. Use your email to do so.For the customers who for some reason have chosen to opt-out, you can always try to woo them back by reminding them why they chose you. You can also send exclusive coupons for such customers.
Urge your loyal customers to forward your newsletter to other like-minded people for increasing email subscribers. To maintain your active subscriber list, make sure that you don’t flood the subscribers with tons of email. It is a huge turn-off. Instead, opt for weekly or monthly newsletters.
Increasing email subscribers through social media is another way. Using paid promotions reach out to people or invite them to sign up. While these points maintain and bring in leads, you need to crunch numbers. You need to keep revisiting you’re your email list to remove inactive users or false emails. Overall, both website and email marketing can help increasing email subscribers as both complements each other, if used to their full potential.
What should your Email Newsletter look like?
If you hire a team to do the needful, then you have nothing to worry about. But if you are a freelancer or a small company and want to craft your marketing emails for increasing email subscribers, you can do these:
- The size and the dimension of your newsletter should be optimized so that it can be viewed across different devices. The average size is 550 to 660 px.
- Create an accurate newsletter header. The aim is to grab the reader’s attention. By using the right word, fonts and colours, perk up the game. The newsletter should be in line with your targeted audience.
- For the central part, you can add a gist or a short bio supplementing with proper images. Make it informative, subtle and suggestive.
- Add CTA links to your website and social media.
- Add a footer.
Sites like Stipo, Pixelbuddha, Cakemail etc., can provide loads of free templates for your use.
A lot of marketing options and strategies are available to us as a company or an individual. And choosing the right one becomes a priority keeping in mind the availability of resources and your brand type. If you are looking for a medium to reach thousands, but with a low budget then email marketing is the right choice.
Increasing email subscribers can be an asset to the company in the long run because if you loyal customers to back you up.
How you maintain and add increasing email subscribers to your company address, is entirely up to you. To assist you in this you can either hire an agency to do it or you can do it yourself, utilizing the necessary apps.
Increasing email subscribers can be seen as a sign of the company’s growth but beware of your emails becoming spam. Keeping these things in mind, optimize email marketing and let your company grow!